WinRAR is a trialwarefile archiver utility for Windows, developed by Eugene Roshal of win.rar GmbH. It can create and view archives in RAR or ZIP file formats, and unpack numerous archive file formats. To enable the user to test the integrity of archives, WinRAR embeds CRC32 or BLAKE2checksums for each file in each archive. WinRAR supports creating encrypted, multi-part and self-extracting archives.
WinRAR is a Windows-only program. An Android application called "RAR for Android" is also available. Related programs include the command-line utilities "RAR" and "UNRAR" and versions for macOS,Linux, FreeBSD, Windows CE, and MS-DOS.
See also: RAR (file format)
WinRAR and the RAR file format have evolved over time. Support for the archive format RAR5, using the same RAR file extension as earlier versions, was added in version 5.0; the older RAR file format has since been referred to as RAR4. WinRAR versions before 5.0 do not support RAR5 archives; only older versions of WinRAR run on Windows versions prior to Windows Vista, and cannot open RAR5 archives.
The RAR5 file format increased the maximum dictionary size to 1 GB; 11 different compression directory sizes from 1 MB to 1 GB are available, with the default in version 5 increased from 4 MB to 32 MB, typically improving compression ratio. AES encryption, when used, is in CBC mode and was increased in strength from 128- to 256-bit. Maximum path length for files in RAR and ZIP archives is increased to 2,048 characters.
Options added in v5.0 include 256-bit BLAKE2 file-hashing algorithm instead of default 32-bit CRC32, duplicate file detection, NTFS hard and symbolic links, and Quick Open record to allow large archives to be opened faster.
The RAR5 file format removed comments for each file (though archive comment still remains), authenticity verification, and specialized compression algorithms for text and multimedia files. RAR5 also changed the file name for split volumes from "archivename.rNN" to "archivename.partNN.rar".
- Creation of packed RAR or ZIP archives.
- Unpacking of ARJ, BZIP2, CAB, GZ, ISO, JAR, LHA, RAR, TAR, WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest, UUE, XZ, Z, ZIP, ZIPX, 7z, 001 (split) archives, as well as EXE files containing these archive formats
- Checksum (integrity) verification for ARJ, BZIP2, CAB, GZ, BZIP2, RAR, XZ, ZIP and 7z archives
- Multithreaded CPU compression and decompression
When creating RAR archives:
- Support for maximum file size of 16 EiB, about 1.8 × 1019 bytes or 18 million TB
- Compression dictionary from 1 MiB to 1 GiB (it is limited to 256 MiB on 32-bit editions of Windows, although 32-bit Windows still can decompress archives with 1 GiB dictionary; default size is 32 MiB)
- Optional 256-bit BLAKE2 file hash can replace default 32-bit CRC32 file checksum
- Optional encryption using AES with a 256-bit key in CBC mode, using key derivation function based on PBKDF2 using HMAC-SHA256
- Optional data redundancy is provided in the form of Reed–Solomonrecovery records and recovery volumes, allowing reconstruction of damaged archives (including reconstruction of entirely missed volumes)
- Optional "quick open record" to open RAR files faster
- Ability to create multi-volume (split) archives
- Ability to create self-extracting files (multi-volume self-extracting archives are supported; the self-extractor can execute commands, such as running a specified program before or after self-extraction)
- Support for advanced NTFS file system options, such as NTFS hard and symbolic links
- Support for maximum path length up to 2,048 characters (stored in the UTF-8 format)
- Optional archive comment (stored in the UTF-8 format)
- Optional file time stamp preservation: creation, WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest, last access, WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest, high precision modification times
- Optional file deduplication
The software is distributed as "try before you buy"; it may be used without charge for 40 days. When the period expires, the non-enterprise functionalities remain available, a move intended to discourage piracy. In China, a free-to-use personal edition has been provided officially since 2015.
Although archiving with the RAR format is proprietary, RARLAB supplies as copyrighted freeware the C++ source code of the current UnRAR unpacker, with a license allowing it to be used in any software, thus enabling others to produce software capable of unpacking, but not creating, RAR archives.
RAR for Android is free of charge. It displays advertisements; for a payment they can be disabled. A license for WinRAR does not provide ad-suppression for RAR for Android.
In February 2019, a major security vulnerability in the unacev2.dll library which is used by WinRAR to decompress ACE archives was discovered. Consequently, WinRAR dropped the support for the ACE format from version 5.70.
Self-extracting archives created with versions before 5.31 (including the executable installer of WinRAR itself) are vulnerable to DLL hijacking: they may load and use DLLs named UXTheme.dll, RichEd32.dll and RichEd20.dll if they are in the same folder as the executable file.
- Command line RAR and UNRAR were first released in autumn 1993.
- Early development version WinRAR 1.54b was released in 1995 as Windows 3.x software.
- 3.00 (2002-05): the new RAR3archive format is implemented. The new archives cannot be managed by older versions of WinRAR. Solid compression and WAV audio lossless compression features are added.
- 3.41 (2004-12): adds support for Linux .Z archives like GZIP and BZIP2. New options include storing entire file paths and restoring compressed NTFS files.
- 3.50 (2005-08): adds support for interface skins and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
- 3.60 (2006-08): adds multithreaded version of the compression algorithm, which improves compression speed on systems with multiple dual-core or hyper-threading-enabled CPUs.
- 3.80 (2008-09): adds support for ZIP archives, which contain Unicode file names in UTF-8.
- 3.90 (2009-05): adds support for the x86-64 architecture and Windows 7. Multithreaded support is enhanced.
- 3.91 is the last release that supports Valencian.
- 3.92 is the last release that supports Serbian Cyrillic and Serbian Latin.
- 4.00 (2011-03): decompression is sped up by up to 30%. Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows NT are no longer supported; the minimum Windows version adobe muse crack mac Archives is Windows 2000.
- 4.10 (2012-01): removes all WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest limitations now allowing unlimited number of files and archive size. WinRAR now also allows creation of multivolume ZIP files. ZIP archives now include Unicode file names.
- 4.20 (2012-06): compression speed in SMP mode is increased significantly, but this improvement was made at the expense of increased memory usage. ZIP compression now uses SMP as well. The default CleanMyMac X Crack v4.5.1 for macOS [Newest] mode cannot handle text; text compression is significantly worse unless additional switches are used. Also, Windows 2000 compatibility was removed.
- 5.00 (2013-09): the RAR5 archive format is implemented. RAR5 compressed archives cannot be managed by old versions of WinRAR. The RAR 5 format improves multi-core processor utilization, and adds a larger dictionary size of up to 1 GiB with 64-bit WinRAR. Special optional compression algorithms optimized for RGB bitmaps, raw audio files, Itanium executables, and plain text, which were supported by earlier versions, are supported only in the older RAR format, not RAR5. Optional optimized compression of x86 executables and delta compression (for structured table data) are supported in both file formats.
- 5.50 (2017-08): adds support for a master password which can be used to encrypt passwords stored in WinRAR. The default RAR format is changed to version 5. Adds support for decompressing Lzip archives; adds support for high precision file dates, longer file names and larger file sizes for TAR archives.
- 5.60 (2018-06): repairing of protected RAR5 archives was improved. Automatic detection of WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest encoding of ZIP archive comments. Recognition of GZIP files with arbitrary preceding data as an actual GZIP archive.
- 5.70 (2019-02): removes support for ACE archive decompression due to major security vulnerabilities in the unacev2.dll library.
- 6.00 (2020-12): "Ignore" and "Ignore All" options are added to read error prompt. "Ignore" allows to continue processing with already read file part only and "Ignore All" does it for all future read errors.
Operating systems support
More recent versions do not support many older operating systems. Versions supporting older operating systems may still be available, but not maintained:
- ^(Russia, Chelyabinsk) WinRAR 3.40 release notes by Eugene Roshal(in Russian)
- ^ ab"RAR and WinRAR End User License Agreement (EULA)", WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest, rarlab.com, RARLAB, archived from the original on 2014-01-04, retrieved 2019-03-11
- ^ ab"RAR download page". rarlab.com. RARLAB. Archived from the original on 2020-06-09. Retrieved 2020-06-10.
- ^ abCHM Tech. "WinRAR And The Infinite 40-Day Trial". YouTube.
- ^Manuel Masiero (18 March 2013)"Compression Performance: 7-Zip, MagicRAR, WinRAR, WinZip"Tom's Hardware. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- ^ ab"RAR for Android; RARsoft". Archived from the original on 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- ^ abVoloshin, Kirill (2011-03-10). [Interview by correspondence] (in Russian). Archived from the original on 2015-08-16, WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- ^Martin Brinkmann (29 April 2013)"WinRAR 5.0 introduces the new RAR 5 format. What you need to know"Archived 2018-09-01 at the Wayback MachineGhacks. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- ^ abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw"Latest changes in WinRAR (cumulative release notes for all versions)". rarlab.com. RARLAB. Archived from the original on 2010-08-06. Retrieved 2018-09-01. Updated with each new beta test or released version. Current page has versions 4.00 and higher; archived page linked here has versions 3.70–3.93; older archived versions go back to 3.00
- ^"Best Archive Tool". DonationCoder.com. 2005-09-05. Archived from the original on 2009-06-02. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- ^"WinRAR 5 Final Released"Archived 2013-12-02 at the Wayback MachineTechno360.in. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- ^ abMartin Brinkmann (7 September 2011). "How To Split Large Files Into Multiple Smaller Ones". gHacks Tech News. Archived from the original on 2017-04-16. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- ^WinRAR Help – GUI SFX modules: setup commands
- ^"软众信息-WinRAR独家总代理商 最新官方简体中文版下载 支持64位非破解版压缩软件：软件介绍-致用户的一封信". www.winrar.com.cn. Archived from the original on 2016-10-15. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- ^"WinRAR and RAR archiver addons (downloads, UnRAR for various platforms, and source code)". rarlab.com. RARLAB. Archived from the original on 2018-09-01. Retrieved 2020-06-10. License says "The source code of UnRAR utility is freeware"
- ^"Extracting a 19 Year Old Code Execution from WinRAR". Check Point Research. 2019-02-20. Retrieved 2019-03-13.
- ^"WinRAR Multiple Security Vulnerabilities". www.securityfocus.com, WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest. Retrieved 2019-03-13.
- ^Kanthak, Stefan (7 February 2016). "Executable installers are vulnerable^WEVIL (case 25): WinRAR's installer and self-extractors allow arbitrary (remote) code execution and escalation of privilege". SecLists.org. Archived from the original on 2016-02-18. Retrieved 2016-02-20.
- ^Shaikh Rafia (September 2015). "WinRAR Exploit Could Put 500 Million Users at Risk". Wccftech.com. Archived from the original on 2016-10-01. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^"WinRAR Vulnerability Is Complete Bullshit". Darknet. 1 October 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-10-02. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^"WinRAR download and support. WinRAR is a powerful Windows tool to compress and decompress zip, rar and many other formats: Knowledge Base". Win-rar.com. Archived from the original on 2009-05-14. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- ^"WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files". rarlab.com. RARLAB. Archived from the original on 2009-06-28. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- ^Nichols, Shaun (2019-02-20). "Behold… a WinRAR security bug that's older than your child's favorite YouTuber. And yes, you should patch this hole". www.theregister.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- ^"RAR 2.50 – Stats, Downloads and Screenshots". WinWorld. Archived from the original on 2017-08-15. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- ^ ab"Downloads for: WinRAR, RAR for Mac OS X, RAR for Linux, RAR for DOS & OS/2, RAR for FreeBSD, with 40 days free trial". Winrar.co.nz. Archived from the original on 2017-08-15. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- ^"WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files". www.rarlab.com. Retrieved 2021-10-08.
- Salomon, David (20 March 2007). Data Compression: The Complete Reference (4th ed.). London: Springer Science & Business Media. doi:10.1007/978-1-84628-603-2. ISBN . Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Fellows, Geoffrey (1 October 2010). "WinRAR temporary folder artefacts". Digital Investigation: The International Journal of Digital Forensics & Incident Response. 7 (1–2): 9–13. doi:10.1016/j.diin.2009.12.001. ISSN 1742-2876. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Yeo, Gary S.-W.; Phan, Raphael C.-W. (8 March 2006). "On the security of the WinRAR encryption feature". International Journal of Information Security. Special issue on ISC'05. 5 (2): 115–123. doi:10.1007/s10207-006-0086-3. ISSN 1615-5262. S2CID 22398865.
- Metz, Cade (2004-11-16). "File Compression Beyond ZIP". PC Magazine. 23 (20): 52. ISSN 0888-8507.
- Qin, Jian-cheng; Bai, Zhong-ying (1 February 2011). "Design of new format for mass data compression". The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications. 18 (1): 121–128. doi:10.1016/S1005-8885(10)60037-4. ISSN 1005-8885. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Spanbauer, Scott (December 2000). "Forget Napster – Usenet Is Where the Files Are". PC World. 18 (12): 254. ISSN 0737-8939.
- Allen, Danny (February 2007). "Compression Apps Do More Than Shrink Files". PC World. 25 (2): 64. ISSN 0737-8939.
- Sanjuàs-Cuxart, J.; Barlet-Ros, P.; Solé-Pareta, J. (2011). "Measurement Based Analysis of One-Click File Hosting Services". Journal of Network and Systems Management. 20 (2): 276. WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest. ISSN 1064-7570. S2CID 2784124.
- Jovanova, B.; WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest, M.; Preteux, F. O. (2009), WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest. "MPEG-4 Part 25: A graphics compression framework for XML-based scene graph formats". Signal Processing: Image Communication. 24 (1–2): 101. doi:10.1016/j.image.2008.10.011. ISSN 0923-5965.
- Barr, K. C.; Asanović, K. (2006). "Energy-aware lossless data compression". ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, WinCatalog 2022 5.0 With Crack Full Download Latest. 24 (3): 250. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.85.5912. doi:10.1145/1151690.1151692. hdl:1721.1/87316. ISSN 0734-2071. S2CID 5431719.